You aren't updated Mr. Thackarey!

Found the following news rather amusing. I live in Tamilnadu's capital Chennai and have lived so since my birth. In these over three decades, I have never seen Chennai without Hindi films. Even today there are a few theatres where there are only hindi movies screened. It is not just Chennai, across Tamilnadu I think there are pockets where there is a definite regular collection for hindi movies. I watched hindi movies (Yadoon ki baraat if my memory is correct) in 'Star talkies' in Triplicane High Road as a kid, watched 'Hero' in Satyam, re-run of 'Sholay' in Brinda up north Perambur...Ega, Sathyam complex, the no. of theatres is endless. If I can recollect so many, and I am not a regular movie goer, I am sure there are many more theatres across the state. As far as I know even during the worst kind of anti-Hindi agitation (that was atleast a decade and half back), screening of Hindi movies would not have been an issue.

As far as Hindi news goes, no one here needs it. The DTH and cable-wallahs provide not just Hindi, but, even Gujarati, Marathi or any Indian (and indeed many foreign languages) channels as long as there are people willing to pay to watch them. The national 24x7 news channels themselves have realized that it is better to provide news in (not just Tamil) southern languages seperately and hence we do have our own news channels. This, ban on hindi news?

Either Mr. Thackarey has not visited Tamilnadu or he has very bad research briefing before he writes his editorial.

After Bachchan, 'Maratha brigade' targets Shah Rukh - Express India: "'If you have a sense of regionalism, then what is wrong if we also indulged in it a bit,' Saamana said.

'In southern states, the anti-Hindi campaign has been on for the last sixty years. There is a ban on Hindi films and Hindi news in Tamil Nadu. In Assam, those speaking in Hindi are killed,' it said."

Comments

Popular Posts